Monday, February 20, 2006

on the subway - fukuoka subway nanakuma line





This is not a view from inside a washing machine














Nor from inside a steel mollusk.






















Just me taking a ride.










Okay, what's with the feet shot?
I found out that I have this in common
with my friend Andrew (from South Africa)
who was also teaching in Korea. And also
takes pictures of his own feet. Just a quirk
I guess. You might know where I am.









One Saturday morning I found myself on the subway from Tenjin bound for the last stop: Hashimoto, a neighborhood on the outskirts of Fukuoka city. My friend and I were going to drive to Saga. (More about that, and the fabulous paper-maker's shop we found there, in another blog). This is the Fukuoka Subway (F for short) Nanakuma line connecting central Tenjin (one of Fukuoka's hippest downtown neighborhoods (think Myeongdong/Gangnam, but in the future). The train cars (like the subway line) are new, fast and, well, luxurious by subway standards. If you are lucky, like I was, you get to sit in the rear car, rear seat (where the conductor or driver usually sits). They provide this for passengers to get a view of their lighted tunnels and subway stops. For train lovers like me, truly a fun ride.












I do admit I tripped out a little viewing the tunnel from my special seat.














A station view.















The tunnel was a fascinating set of compositions for me. I enjoyed the play of light and the curved windows, giving everything a sci-fi feel.













Getting a little experimental by turning the camera while shooting.

(Thanks Blair for showing me that one!).

Hope you enjoyed the post.

No comments: